Monday, July 27, 2009

This is my last week in Spain...

Link to the photobucket page:

http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/memoagomez/CMU%20in%20Spain/?albumview=grid

So right, y’all wanted an update. It’s hard for me to believe that this is my last week here in Spain, that this is my last Monday in Spain!

Street Art in Alicante, it says: “There is a need to paint graffiti”


Sampere gave us a quick tour of Alicante; they took us inside the Cathedral where they keep the idols and robes during Semana Santa (Holy Week). We then headed towards Castle Santa Barbara over on top of the mountain that overlooks the entire city. The section had an older feel the further up we went the mountain. People would sit outside and talk to neighbors, kids would be running through the streets, and no vehicle would be able to move whatsoever. If it were up to me, I would have headed straight to the castle; unfortunately the group was dead from the heat and the climbing so we went back. I made sure to go back sometime during my time here in Alicante.

La Rambla, the main street in Alicante


Our family has shrunk by one, but somehow has gained three. Christian has moved out, but in his place two people have moved in: Claudina from Poland, Irina from Russia, and her daughter Maria. I moved out of the big suite to the room with Severin… and I have the floor mattress, ah well. :P

Romanticist photo (do they exist?) of me at the beach

This Saturday I finally went to the beach to actually go to the beach instead of walking along it like last time. I hung out with Maria, Vanessa, and a few other friends. We swam a bit, worked on bronzing up a bit, and I managed to get severely burnt from all this. I got some nice sunburn from all this but it’s nothing severe, I sort of needed it. :D

Havana Café, a place we usually go to at night to dance.


Sunday was when I decided to take on the mountain with a few friends, Albert, Natasha, Stasha, and me. The lift to the mountain was broken so during the 5 pm heat, of the scorching Alicante heat, we climbed that mountain. We saw Castle Santa Barbara and we set our sights on it like it was some crazy goal like trying to reach the moon. The road curved left and right and every time we went higher, the view just got better and better. Eventually when we reached the top, the Castle was amazing, but the view was to die for. I could see the entire city much better than the mountain where I went to the park. The view allowed me to see not only Alicante, but neighboring cities in the distance, all hiding behind little clouds that seemed so close with the height of the Castle.

Video of us at the top of Castle Santa Barbara


That night I went out with a few friends, we hung out at the beach for a little while and then we all decided to hit the clubs. We ran into some locals with a mix of some other students studying Spanish in Alicante and hit the streets like crazy. The people who handed out fliers saw the size of our group and knew that we would help out the popularity of their clubs so they let us in for free, and often gave us free/cheap drinks. Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated as much as I can, I have an exam this Friday so it may not be as dynamic as usual. :/

A photo of everyone on Christian’s last night.

Talk to you all later!

-Guillermo :D



We were nameless,
We have a name
We were wordless,
The words came
-Rammstein “Los”

No comments:

Post a Comment